Cisco Certified Design Associate is a base level Cisco certification. A CCDA certification holder can design a Cisco network infrastructure including Local area Networks and Global Area networks and can also manage broadband network access in large organizations and business companies.
Cisco Certified Design Associate certification is intended for network managers, Network Technicians and support staff for their expertise in network design management issues.
Cisco Certified Design Associate is an Associate level certification in terms of network designing and architecture. There are other Cisco certifications available as well for network routing and address management:
- CCNA Routing and Switching, Cisco Certified Network Associate for routing and switching is a certification to manage routing and switching issues in small and medium sized networks.
- CCNA Data Centre, for data Centre Design and maintenance.
- CCNA security, to manage security threats and vulnerabilities.
- CCNA Service Provider,
- CCNA Wireless
Cisco Certified Design Associate certification's main objective is to testify candidate's skills in Computer network designing. A detail set of objectives of CCDA are given below:
- Network structure design methodology in local Area networks.
- Managing the role of Router and Switch in network design.
- Implementing Network Design modules using Cisco Enterprise Architecture design.
- Networks address plan designing and selection off a suitable protocol for network route management.
- Evaluate and propose Security solution for the network during design process.
- Remote Connectivity management in a network.
- Network Infrastructure design for Wide Area Networks.
- Network Service Virtualization
- Network Services Access management in a corporate business Environment.
- Design details management of wireless networks.
A CCDA certified person is known to be well qualified for set up and maintaining, optimizing and enhancing the networks of small or medium or large sized organizations. The quality of knowledge and skills provided, checked and acknowledged in the exam are certain that a candidate is able to handle the troubleshooting issues of an organization's network.
Certification Exam Format
The Exam number for Cisco Certified Design Associate is 640-864 DESGN. The exam can be taken in English and Japanese language. The timing for the written exam is about 75 minutes and a total of 50 to 60 questions have to be attempted in required time. Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) is the recommended training course for preparation of the Cisco Certified Design Associate Exam. To successfully attempt CCDA exam, it is recommended for the candidate to possess 4 years work experience in professional networking domain.
Cisco Certified Design Associate certification has a three years validity. For re certification purpose the candidate has to pass one of the following exams before certification expiry date.
- Clear current CCIE certification exam.
- Clear current CCDE written or practical certification exam.
- Clear the CCAr (Cisco Certified Architect) interview and its board exam to extend junior certifications.
- Clear any Associate level or Cisco Specialist exam.
By clearing any of the above exams before CCDA expiry the expiration date of Cisco credential is extended to the expiry of the above certification and after the mentioned time both certifications will expire.
Cisco Certified Design Associate certification has the following certifications as its pre requisite:
- CCNA Routing and Switching, or CCIE or CCDE certification
And a four year work experience in network design and management domain is recommended for the ones wishing to attempt the certification exam.
Skills and benefits
A Cisco Certified Design Associate certified person has a strong theoretical knowledge base of the network routing and switching design issues for any Organization using Cisco network infrastructure Design modules. Network design expertise included in this certification are network protocol selection, network address translation, network resource management, remote connectivity management, voice transport in the network and network security plan designing. The certified person is capable to handle Local Area networks as well as Wide area networks in large business organizations. CCDA certification provides a great boost in professional environment to the certificate holder to excel in the career.
After obtaining the Cisco credential for CCDA certification the candidate can move on to a further professional certification named Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP). CCDA is also a prerequisite for CCDP certification. CCDP covers the topics of network advanced addressing and routing, network security, Virtual Private Networks management and wireless networks etc.