Network security threats have been increased to an alarming level with the passing time. Now, it is the need of the hour to design a secure network with minimized security threats. Cisco has introduced many security certifications which enable the certification holder to design, configure and manage secure large scale network. Cisco Certified Inter network Expert Security is a top most or expert certification for verifying candidate's abilities to configure a secure network using up to date Cisco products and security solutions.
Cisco CCIE Security is a high level certification in the field of network security. There are other expert level certifications available as well mentioned below:
- CCIE Routing and Switching, Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert for Routing and switching issues in a network.
- CCIE Collaboration, Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Collaboration, A certification to make sure a quality controlled communication system i.e. voice/video communication etc.
- CCIE Data Center, Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Data Center, A certification for communication engineers to manage a data center network.
- CCIE Service Provider, Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Service Provider, A certification for service provider network engineers to design large service provider networks.
- CCIE Wireless, Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Wireless, A certification which enables to design, configure and manage large wireless networks.
CCIE Security a certification intends to testify individual skills to design configure and manage secure networks using advanced Cisco Security network solutions and products on the industry level. Few of the skills tested in exam of certification are mentioned below:
- Understanding the role of Firewall in a secure network and implement Firewall based networks using traffic policies and Configuring VPNs.
- Implementing IOS Firewall
- Implementing IPSec, Remote Access VPN and maintaining Quality of Service for VPN networks.
- Configuring and managing Intrusion Prevention Systems
- Managing Host Identity on a network through Identity management Protocols.
- Understanding and knowledge of recent security management techniques and handling network threats.
- A detailed knowledge of all the current and past network attack types and their prevention and handing techniques.
CCIE Security Written Exam
The written exam comprises of two hours with 90 to 110 questions. The questions are based on theoretical concepts as well as commands to handle network security devices. The written Exam code for CCIE Security is 350-018 CCIE Security and it is available in English language. The exam covers all the network security related topics including devices i.e. Firewalls etc , security policies, network Intrusion preventions and all possible security measures for designing a secure network using IPv4 and IPv6 communications.
CCIE Security Practical Exam
The lab exam comprises of eight hour time duration. It is intended to test the abilities of a secure network implementation during a provided time limit. Candidates also have to diagnose network security threats and propose technology solutions for an industry based scenario presented for design. A candidate having written exam passing credentials is capable to appear in CCIE Security lab exam.
All the CCIE certifications are to be reinstated every two years after the first certification date. Hence CCIE is expert level certification in the industry so it is ensured that the certification holders hold up to date technology knowledge. Therefore CCIE Security holder has to recertify every two years. Otherwise the certification is suspended and after a year time it is completely expired and candidate has to resume all the certification process from start. In order to recertify candidate has to pass one of the following exam before certification expiration:
- Any current CCIE written or practical exam
- Current CCDE written or practical exam
- Clear the Cisco Certified Architect interview or and the CCAr board review to extend lower certification.
For recertification candidate has to wait at least 15 days for reattempts between written exams. CCIE Security recertification will automatically reassure all the active Entry, Associate, Professional and other Expert level certifications .e.g. CCNP and CCNA etc.
There are no specific prerequisites to appear in CCIE security exam. It is an expert level certification and the exams are highly professional. So it is encouraged to have at least 3 to 5 years of professional job experience before trying for CCIE Security exam.
Skills and Benefits
CCIE Security is an advanced level certification which provides a unique skill set to the security expert to design and manage secure extensible network infrastructure. The certification holders have professional excellence to complete their task.
CCIE is the senior most or Expert level certification in the networking certification hierarchy. After obtaining the CCIE Security Credential candidate can attempt other Expert level certifications e.g. CCIE Routing and Switching, CCIE Collaboration etc.