The number of network security threats and attacks has been rising day by day. With this rapid increase a demand of secure network infrastructure has also been increased. A CCNA Security certification holder network professional can cope with network security issues in a much better way. This certification is intended for the network professionals who want to build up their career in network security domain. The course on CCNA security is updated with the advancements in the network security technologies. CCNA security course teach the candidate to configure Cisco firewalls, network access control lists, Cisco Intrusion Detection and Prevention systems and Virtual Private networks to ensure network security and integrity over IPv4 and IPv6 networks. CCNA Security also aims to train a secure network design by keeping intact with quality of service and confidentiality of user data on a communication network.
CCNA is an associate level exam in Cisco certification hierarchy. After clearing CCNA Security exam candidate can attempt other Associate level exams in other fields of network.
- CCNA Collaboration, A certification that verifies candidate's skills of designing and management Audio/Video Collaboration networks.
- CCNA Data Center, A certification that verifies candidate's skills and knowledge to design and manage a data Center network in large scale environment.
- CCNA Wireless, A certification that verifies candidate's knowledge to design, configure and manage wireless networks using Cisco Wireless LAN products and technology.
- CCNA Service Provider, A certification to test candidate skills to maintain a service provider computer network.
CCNA Security is a renowned certification in the field of network security management. It ensures that the candidate has Associate level knowledge of securing networks against threats and vulnerabilities by taking multiple security measures. The objective of the CCNA security is to verify the candidate's knowledge in following areas:
- Planning and development of security infrastructure.
- Assessment and recognition of network threats and Vulnerabilities.
- Alleviation of security threats.
- Install, monitor and troubleshoot network devices to keep a network integrated.
- Managing Data and service availability and information confidentiality issues.
The CCNA security exam is based on the course of implementation of Cisco IOS network security. The exam code for the certification is 640-554. The exam is available in English and Japanese language. It is a 90 minutes duration exam with 55 to 65 questions. The aim of this exam is to test candidate's knowledge and skill to secure a computer network using Cisco security solutions and products.
CCNA Security scores are valid for three years. Candidate can recertify during this period to extend the certification expiry. For recertification candidate has to clear one of the following exam during recertification period.
- Clear any type of current Associate level exam except ICND1.
- Clear any current professional (642-XXX) or any professional level (300-XXX) exam.
- Clear any current CCIE exam
- Clear any current CCDE written or lab exam
- Clear any Cisco certified Architect exam or CCAr board for extending lower certifications.
Clearing a higher level certification exam automatically extends lower certifications expiry.
CCNA Security has the following certifications as its pre requisites:
- Any valid entry level certification e.g. CCENT
- Any valid CCNA Routing and Switching certification
- Any valid expert level certification e.g. CCIE etc.
Skills and Benefits
CCNA Security certification is very beneficial and skillful exam and can acts as an important step for the students and professionals who want to excel in network security domain. It aware the candidate not only with current network threats but also the mitigation techniques to deal with network threats and vulnerabilities. Cisco security products and solutions are an important part of the certification exam. Implementation and management of Virtual private networks is also an important part of the exam. Since network security is very important topic these days. So, this exam provides a deep insight in network security issues and ensures professional success in career for the certification holder.
After completing CCNA Security Credential candidate can move on to higher level certifications in the Cisco's certification hierarchy.
- CCNP Security, A professional level certification to test and train professionals in the field of secure communication network designing.
- CCIE Security, An expert level certification to train professionals in the field of secure communication networks design.